Start a new topic

Deployment Failure on Scrapinghub Due to pip Version Conflict (Could Not Find Version Satisfying pip<20.0,>=9.0.3)

Here’s a detailed explanation of everything you’ve done to solve the issue with deploying your Scrapy project to Scrapinghub (Zyte), which you can share with Scrapinghub support.

---

### **Issue Description:**

I'm facing an issue where my Scrapy project deployment to Scrapinghub fails due to a `pip` version conflict. The error message indicates a problem with the version of `pip` during the dependencies check:

```

Collecting pip<20.0,>=9.0.3

WARNING: There're some errors when doing pip-check:

Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pip<20.0,>=9.0.3 (from versions: )

No matching distribution found for pip<20.0,>=9.0.3

{"error": "requirements_error", "message": "Dependencies check exit code: 1", "details": "Pip checks failed, please fix the conflicts"}

```

### **Steps Taken to Solve the Issue:**

1. **Created a Virtual Environment:**

I started by creating a new virtual environment to isolate the project dependencies:

```bash

python3 -m venv venv

source venv/bin/activate

```

2. **Installed Scrapy and Pip Dependencies:**

I installed Scrapy in the virtual environment and ensured that `pip` was updated:

```bash

pip install scrapy

pip install --upgrade pip

```

3. **Attempted to Deploy to Scrapinghub:**

I ran the `shub deploy` command to deploy the project:

```bash

shub deploy 770129

```

The deployment failed with the error message related to the `pip` version check, where Scrapinghub expected `pip<20.0,>=9.0.3`.

4. **Created and Updated `requirements.txt`:**

To resolve the `pip` version conflict, I created a `requirements.txt` file and specified the necessary dependencies, including `pip` version `19.3.1` (which fits the range required by Scrapinghub):

```bash

scrapy==2.11.2

pip==19.3.1

```

I also ran:

```bash

pip freeze > requirements.txt

```

This file was added to the root of the Scrapy project directory.

5. **Ensured Scrapinghub Uses the `requirements.txt` File:**

I added the following to my `scrapy.cfg` file to ensure that Scrapinghub uses the `requirements.txt` file during deployment:

```ini

[settings]

default = demo_scraper.settings

[deploy]

url = https://app.zyte.com/api/scrapyd/

project = 770129

requirements_file = requirements.txt

```

6. **Downgraded `pip` in Virtual Environment:**

To align with Scrapinghub’s expected version of `pip`, I manually downgraded `pip` in the virtual environment:

```bash

pip install pip==19.3.1

```

7. **Re-attempted Deployment:**

After the changes, I re-attempted deploying the project using:

```bash

shub deploy

```

Unfortunately, the same error persisted:

```

Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pip<20.0,>=9.0.3

```

8. **Checked Logs:**

I checked the logs generated during the deployment, and the error message consistently pointed to a pip version mismatch.

Full deploy log (last 30 lines):

```

Step 12/12 : ENV PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

---> Running in a80cf4a796f6

---> Removed intermediate container a80cf4a796f6

---> edb636683fff

Successfully built edb636683fff

Successfully tagged i.scrapinghub.com/kumo_project/770129:19

Step 1/3 : FROM alpine:3.6

---> 43773d1dba76

Step 2/3 : ADD kumo-entrypoint /kumo-entrypoint

---> Using cache

---> 7376ab0db517

Step 3/3 : RUN chmod +x /kumo-entrypoint

---> Using cache

---> 505aff2468ba

Successfully built 505aff2468ba

Successfully tagged kumo-entrypoint:latest

Entrypoint container is created successfully

>>> Checking python dependencies

Collecting pip<20.0,>=9.0.3

WARNING: There're some errors when doing pip-check:

Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pip<20.0,>=9.0.3 (from versions: )

{"error": "requirements_error", "message": "Dependencies check exit code: 1", "details": "Pip checks failed, please fix the conflicts"}

{"status": "error", "message": "Requirements error"}

```

### **Summary of Key Points:**

- I have a fresh virtual environment for the project.

- I created and ensured the use of a `requirements.txt` file with compatible dependencies.

- I downgraded `pip` to a version (`19.3.1`) that fits within Scrapinghub's expected range.

- Despite these steps, the deployment continues to fail due to the `pip` version conflict.

I am unsure why the deployment process still fails with the `pip<20.0,>=9.0.3` error, even though I have followed all the necessary steps to meet the version requirements.

---

You can now send this detailed explanation to Scrapinghub support, and they should be able to help troubleshoot further!

1 Comment

I also changed the scrapinghub.yml file to:

project: 770129

requirements:

file: requirements.txt

And now I get:

shub deploy 

/home/ai/github/demo_scraper/venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/_distutils_hack/__init__.py:31: UserWarning: Setuptools is replacing distutils. Support for replacing an already imported distutils is deprecated. In the future, this condition will fail. Register concerns at https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/new?template=distutils-deprecation.yml

warnings.warn(

Packing version e61608f-master

Deploying to Scrapy Cloud project "770129"

Deploy log last 30 lines:

---> Using cache

---> 692c11f310c0

Step 3/12 : ADD eggbased-entrypoint /usr/local/sbin/

---> Using cache

---> db435060f49f

Step 4/12 : ADD run-pipcheck /usr/local/bin/

---> Using cache

---> 8ff195eaaada

Step 5/12 : RUN chmod +x /usr/local/bin/run-pipcheck

---> Using cache

---> 6187d6b9e1ba

Step 6/12 : RUN chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/eggbased-entrypoint && ln -sf /usr/local/sbin/eggbased-entrypoint /usr/local/sbin/start-crawl && ln -sf /usr/local/sbin/eggbased-entrypoint /usr/local/sbin/scrapy-list && ln -sf /usr/local/sbin/eggbased-entrypoint /usr/local/sbin/shub-image-info && ln -sf /usr/local/sbin/eggbased-entrypoint /usr/local/sbin/run-pipcheck

---> Using cache

---> d570a8033094

Step 7/12 : ADD requirements.txt /app/requirements.txt

---> Using cache

---> 40be6c02e05d

Step 8/12 : RUN mkdir /app/python && chown nobody:nogroup /app/python

---> Using cache

---> 7ee7d720cf68

Step 9/12 : RUN sudo -u nobody -E PYTHONUSERBASE=$PYTHONUSERBASE -E PIP_NO_CACHE_DIR=0 pip install --user --no-cache-dir -r /app/requirements.txt

---> Running in 90deebdd6757

Collecting scrapy==2.11.2 (from -r /app/requirements.txt (line 1))

Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement scrapy==2.11.2 (from -r /app/requirements.txt (line 1)) (from versions: )

No matching distribution found for scrapy==2.11.2 (from -r /app/requirements.txt (line 1))

{"error": "requirements_error", "message": "The command '/bin/sh -c sudo -u nobody -E PYTHONUSERBASE=$PYTHONUSERBASE -E PIP_NO_CACHE_DIR=0 pip install --user --no-cache-dir -r /app/requirements.txt' returned a non-zero code: 1", "details": {"code": 1, "message": "The command '/bin/sh -c sudo -u nobody -E PYTHONUSERBASE=$PYTHONUSERBASE -E PIP_NO_CACHE_DIR=0 pip install --user --no-cache-dir -r /app/requirements.txt' returned a non-zero code: 1"}}

{"status": "error", "message": "Requirements error"}

Deploy log location: /tmp/shub_deploy_nnmn34mk.log

Error: Deploy failed: b'{"status": "error", "message": "Requirements error"}'

Login to post a comment